Queen anne bathroom before remodel
Photo: Tria Giovan
« »

Hidden Gems

Under the old linoleum and canvas floor covering we found painted yellow pine in good condition, and we sanded and finished it with a dark stain. Plaster repair and paint made the biggest difference, especially on the second floor, where the bedrooms were in decent shape. We patched the floor in places where it couldn't be saved and moved on to the third floor, where we had already added insulation and now painted and put down a hardwood floor. Merle was finally able to furnish her turreted office just as she'd dreamed.

Shown: The first-floor bath before. Damaged plaster walls, prior to being scraped, sanded, and skim coated.
Ask TOH users about Befores and Afters

Contribute to This Story Below