What They Did
Enlarged to 230 square feet, ringed with cabinets, countertops, and appliances, and finished with light-reflecting materials, it's a combination cook's kitchen and social hub.
1. Annexed a 56-square-foot bath
and closed up its window to create the range wall.
2. Angled a counter and cabinet to improve flow around the nearby peninsula.
3. Widened the opening to the new dining room (formerly the living room).
4. Opened up a back staircase that had been closed off.
5. Built a peninsula with a cabinet, posts, and an inexpensive countertop.
6. Moved the back door and a window to maximize usable space.