Floor Plan After
The footprint and the appliance locations stayed the same, but storage and style were amped up by tearing out soffits and installing tall cabinets and other built-ins.
1. Added a banquette with deep drawers for linens, baking supplies, and small appliances, and a table for meals.
2. Removed soffits to make way for ceiling-height cabinets.
3. Opened up the room with a skylight and new casement windows.
4. Built in an oak hutch that holds office supplies, display shelves, and a TV.
5. Doubled the size of the pass-through over the stove to channel light and provide a sight line from the cooking area to the family room.