Enlarged to 245 square feet and opened to the family room, the kitchen now has more prep space and a smarter layout.
1. Replaced a wall with a unit that divides the kitchen and family room. It holds fridge, pantry, and cookbooks on one side, media equipment on the other.
2. Annexed the laundry room to gain a more workable rectangular space and a wide opening to the family room.
3. Bumped out the back wall 3 feet to gain even more square footage.
4. Added a built-in banquette and table for an open eating nook just steps from the cooking and cleanup areas.
5. Built an island that brings together the cooktop, oven, and microwave, plus prep space, minimizing collisions among cooks, sous-chefs, and table-setters.