Relocated, expanded to 263 square feet, and joined to a porch, the space is sunnier, and big enough for an eating nook, an island—and plenty of family and friends.
1. Swapped places with the family room and annexed part of the hall to gain light, space, and porch access.
2. Placed an island at the center for food prep and socializing.
3. Added oversize windows, a sliding glass door, and a row of leaded panes to bring in lots of light, even in winter.
4. Flanked the range with countertops and cabinets for lots more storage and prep space.
5. Built in an eating nook, a pantry, and a sight line to the new dining room for better flow and function.