The Plan: After
Annexing the pantry closet and cutting back the wall opposite it allowed for an island and reconfiguring the appliances.
1. Removed the pantry closet to create a new home for the range and hood.
2. Moved the fridge to where the range had been, so it's now just steps from the sink.
3. Created a new pantry with floor-to-ceiling cabinets. The long counter next to it acts as a desk and doubles as a bar when the couple entertains.
4. Added an island to gain more prep space as well as a family gathering spot.
5. Cut back the wall opposite the old pantry for a better connection with the eating area.