Kitchen Math: After
By adding and subtracting space, the kitchen became a square. It's smaller by 4 square feet but much more workable.
1. Bumped out the sink wall 6 feet to create a step-saving layout, and added a pair of windows over the basins.
2. Added a storage island that hides a microwave and doubles as a table.
3. Moved the range and fridge to create efficient work triangles, and flanked the range with prep counters.
4. Trimmed the L, donating that space to a new laundry room next door.
5. Widened an opening to the breakfast room for better flow. A basement door was removed, and a new entry leads to the hall.