composite of four illustrations of toh reader holiday disasters « »

Fireplace Fiasco

"The first time we used our fireplace last year, I forgot to open the flue. I realized this with a roaring fire already blazing, so I opened it. But I had another brilliant idea: Get rid of the smoke from the house with the attic fan, right? Wrong! The fan pulled in all the smoke right out of the chimney! Luckily we have 20-or-so-foot ceilings and an open balcony, so we just opened the doors and windows and stayed downstairs until the smoke cleared!

"Man, talk about smelling like Christmas. Our house and clothes smelled like fireplace for days."

Steven S.
via Facebook

Become a fan of TOH on Facebook
Ask TOH users about Safety & Prevention

Contribute to This Story Below