Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Fort Lauderdale founding father Frank Stranahan built this Florida vernacular-style house for his new bride, Ivy, in the year 1900. Built of Dade county pine, the place changed functions as often as Stranahan changed professions: The house served as a post office (and Stranahan as the county's first postmaster), a community center, and a town hall. Overwhelmed by losses during the collapse of the 1920s and a hurricane in 1926, the owner ended his life on the grounds. Ivy, Fort Lauderdale's first schoolteacher, went on to lease the ground floor as a restaurant and continued to live in the upper quarters until her death in 1971. The home was then acquired by the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society, which began a restoration in the 1980s.
The place now stands in its 1913 configuration. According to John Marc Carr's Haunted Fort Lauderdale,
up to six ghosts inhabit the home, including the ghost of Frank Stranahan himself.
The Stranahan House
docents dressed in Victorian mourning clothes will escort you through the parlor, staged for a Victorian funeral, and a tour of tombstones dating back to the 1800s. Call 954-524-4736 for more information.