Michelle Cicero, 919-497-0434
Built in 1894, this Italianate remained in the same family for about 50 years before a local doctor bought the place and performed some unnecessary surgery, tacking on a massive rear addition not exactly in line with the original spirit of the house. Preservation North Carolina
, the nonprofit that now owns the house, is hoping the next owner will demo the addition and return the house to its original floor plan. The house has many notable features, including Corinthian columns that divide its enormous living room in half, colorful stained-glass windows, and beautiful parquet floors.