even opening a package can be dangerous with a sharp blade « »

Winner: Jay Cotten, Saratoga Springs, NY

After buying his first home, Jay Cotten, 49, of Saratoga Springs, New York, was pretty excited about becoming a real handyman. But that excitement quickly turned to blood-splattered humiliation when he tried to pry open the packaging on a screwdriver set with his pocketknife. Jay accidentally stabbed himself in the hand, hitting what must have been an artery. "Blood just went everywhere," he says. "It splattered over three walls—even the ceiling!" Eight stitches later, he had a chance to put his handyman skills to work, adding a coat of primer and three coats of paint to his bloodied living room. "Apparently," warns Jay, "blood doesn't cover over easily."

Think your blunder is prize-worthy, too? Tell us all about it and you could be featured
Ask TOH users about Safety & Prevention

Contribute to This Story Below