be sure to make sure there are no open flames when you use chemicals that give off flamable fumes « »

Winner: George Chandler, Shawnee, KS

Last June, George Chandler, 60, of Shawnee, Kansas, was installing lattice for a climbing wisteria with his buddy Phil Kern, 60. Phil was on a ladder, handling the nail gun, and George was on the ground below. The compressor hose snagged on a child's toy, and, when Phil yanked on the hose to untangle it, the gun went off. "Where did the nail go?" Phil asked. "I don't know, but I felt something on my head," George said. "I looked down, " Phil later told a reporter, "and saw the nail." Turns out George's hat had been spiked to his head. A doctor later removed it in a delicate and sophisticated procedure—using the ever-ready maintenance department claw hammer.

Think your blunder is prize-worthy, too? Tell us all about it and you could be featured
Ask TOH users about Safety & Prevention

Contribute to This Story Below