be sure to make sure there are no open flames when you use chemicals that give off flamable fumes
Illustration: Eric Larson
« »

Winner: Joshua Mullen, Mobile, AL

Joshua Mullen, 26, of Mobile, Ala­bama, had a very nice utility shed. The only problem was that it was filled with bees, which were swarming around a pile of rags inside of it. One day, Joshua decided to get rid of them. He poured some gasoline on the rags, then left to do some yard work. That's when he heard a mighty whoosh! The gas fumes were ignited by a water-heater pilot light. And the bees presumably died after lighting up like, um, fireflies.

Think your blunder is prize-worthy, too? Tell us all about it and you could be featured
Ask TOH users about Safety & Prevention

Contribute to This Story Below