not hiring an expert can cost you more than your pride « »

Winner: Chuck Andreae, 51, Darien, CT

While installing new plasterboard on his pantry ceiling, Chuck Andreae, 51, of Darien, Connecticut, practiced poor marksmanship when he aimed his screw gun directly into a length of pipe. The errant shot flooded the laundry room and, of course, ruined the plasterboard. Chuck was working alongside his general contractor, who simply rolled his eyes, turned off the water, and dutifully patched up the hole. Then it was back to work. A little embarrassed, Chuck repositioned the plasterboard on the ceiling, pulled the trigger of his drywall gun, and screwed right into those darn pipes all over again. "My GC was just laughing at me," says Chuck, "wondering why the heck I was even trying to do this."

Think your blunder is prize-worthy, too? Tell us all about it and you could be featured
Ask TOH users about Safety & Prevention

Contribute to This Story Below