Winner from New York City

This DIYer decided to forgo the installation cost and put in a new dishwasher himself. His wife jokingly reminded him to turn off the breaker before he got started. "I already did," he assured her. But a few minutes later, she heard her husband moaning. She ran to the kitchen, where she found him lying on the floor—10 feet from the dishwasher—with streaky burns on his arm and leg. Turns out the machine was on a circuit for large appliances, which only the building super had access to. The poor guy spent the night in the burn unit. Though only his pride was truly injured, he managed a get-well gift out of the ordeal. "While I was in the hospital, the super was nice enough to finish the job for me at no charge," he says.

Think your blunder is prize-worthy, too? Tell us all about it and you could be featured
Ask TOH users about Safety & Prevention

Contribute to This Story Below