What They Did
1. Installed floor-to-ceiling storage along the refrigerator wall with built-in appliances for a clean, uncluttered look. A 48-inch paneled refrigerator sits flush with the base cabinets, and a microwave and coffee station were installed in the upper cabinets. Two appliance garages keep a smoothie maker, toaster, and other countertop appliances close at hand but out of sight. Lower cabinets hold a paneled warming drawer and a pullout cutting board.
2. Added upper cabinets on the stove wall and an open shelf with undercounter puck lights, and installed a cabinet above the Thermador
wall ovens, with built-in slots for baking sheets.
3. Put in taller cabinets along the sink wall for more storage and installed a corner base unit with a "super Susan" for easy access to pots.
4. Lengthened the island top, giving it a rounded overhang with space for bar-stool seating at the end farthest from the cooking zone.
5. Created a baking center at the oven end of the island with a roomy pullout unit that conceals three shelves to hold mixing bowls, measuring cups, a sifter, flour, sugar, and other dry goods.