Bold Federal Rowhouse (After)
1. Siding: The new fiber-cement clapboards are a fire-resistant version—mandated by the city—of what was there originally.
2. Paint: An autumnal shade of yellow brings the facade back to life. The green on the cornice and shutters is in keeping with a period palette, and a close match to paint remnants found on the body of the house.
3. Shutters: These cedar replacements for the long-gone originals focus attention on the once-receding windows.
3. Entry: Replacing the bracketed door entablature with one that's angular and clean-lined helps restore
the rowhouse's Federal styling and complements the boxy window casings.
4. Details: Matching the shutter dogs, lantern, and house numbers to the iron railings creates a cohesive look.
Value Added: 30%