What They Did
1. Removed a wall to dig out under-porch crawl space and make it part of the new family room. A steel beam provides support in its place.
2. Dug out the existing floor except in the mechanicals area to achieve a 7-foot finished ceiling height.
3. Kept the original locations for the water heater and boiler, shutting them away behind doors.
4. Created a storage closet to hold extra household goods, from cases of wine to bulk-size paper towels.
5. Squeezed in a full bath measuring 5 by 5 feet.
6. Moved the laundry to the far end of the space, tucking the washer and dryer under a counter, adding a sink, and installing a space-saving ironing-board cabinet.
7. Built in cherry cabinetry by Wood-Mode to maximize storage for the TV, stereo, DVDs, CDs, and books.