Back to Basics
There are scads of mold remedies for sale, but the best advice may be to keep it simple. If the moldy area is less than 10 square feet, the EPA recommends good old-fashioned scrubbing with soap, water and plenty of elbow grease, followed by a thorough drying. Chlorine bleach kills the mold, but it only does part of the job. As Dr. Chew points out, "Even dead spores can cause allergic reactions", so it's essential that mold be scrubbed away after it's killed. To minimize exposure to mold spores during that process, the EPA suggests an N-95 respirator (available at many hardware stores), as well as long gloves and goggles.