10 to 30 minutes per sheet, depending on the number of cutouts.
Difficulty: Moderate to hard
About This Video
In this video, This Old House general contractor Tom Silva explains how to install drywall on a ceiling using a lift.
1 Use a drywall T-square to draw lines onto drywall sheet 16 in. on center; these lines correspond to the 1x3 strapping screwed to ceiling joists. 2 Mark onto the drywall the location of any lights or vents in the ceiling. 3 Set drywall sheet onto the drywall lift, then crank it up to the ceiling. 4 Secure drywall to 1x3 strapping with 1 5/8-inch drywall screws. 5 Cut holes for light or vents using a drywall cutout tool.
screwed to joists to provide surface for attaching drywal
3. 1 5/8-inch drywall screws
Tools You Will Need:
1. Tape measure
2. Drywall lift, a rental item used to lift drywall sheet to ceiling
3. Electric screw gun or drill/driver, used to drive drywall screws
4. Drywall cutout tool, for cutting holes in drywall for lights and vents
5. Drywall T-square, used to mark cut lines and layout lines on drywall sheet