A home inspector found aluminum wiring throughout the house I'd like
to buy, which was built in the early 1970s. He seemed quite alarmed, and recommended that the wiring either be replaced or pig-tailed with copper wiring at the connections. In doing some research, we find as many electricians that advise "not to worry about it" as the ones who say,
"it must be fixed." Can you shed some light on this?
— Glenda, Jackson, Mississippi
A: Steve Thomas replies : Aluminum wiring can lead to loose connections, excessive overheating, and fire. The possibility of an electrical fire is something to avoid at all costs. I'd suggest calling a competent electrician to give you a bid on both making the existing system safer or rewiring altogether.