1. 3/4-inch birch-veneer plywood to build the seat box. Get one 4x8 sheet.
2. exterior-grade beadboard plywood to make the back panel on the wall. One 4x8 sheet will cover the area.
3. 1x16 solid-wood panel to make the seat lid. Get one 6-foot board.
4. 1x12 solid-wood panel to make the fascia board and shelf. Get two 6-foot boards.
5. 2x4 to create a support strip for the hinges that hold the box lid. Get 6 feet.
6. 1x4 to create the applied paneling on the front and sides of the box. Get four 8-foot boards.
7. 1x2 to cap the unfinished top edges of the bench box. Get 10 feet.
8. 3/8x7/8-inch panel molding to add a picture-frame detail to the paneling on the box and to trim above and below the beadboard panel. Get five 8-foot lengths.
9. ½x1-inch parting bead to finish the edges of the beadboard plywood.
10. 3/4-inch quarter-round molding to trim the beadboard panel and the base of the box. Get 16 feet.11. ½x7/8-inch decorative shoe molding to trim out the shelf, seat lid, and fascia. Get three 8-foot lengths.
12. 9-inch shelf brackets
13. 2-inch L-brackets to secure the box to the floor. Get seven.
14. European cabinet hinges to allow the lid to overlay the box and open smoothly. Choose ones that are labeled "for frameless cabinets." Get three.
15. Toy-box lid supports to keep the lid from slamming shut. Get two to support the weight of the lid.
16. 1 5/8-inch deck screws
17. 3½-inch deck screws
18. 2½-inch deck screws
19. 2-inch trim-head screws
20. 2d finish nails
21. 3d finish nails
22. carpenter's glue
23. vinyl adhesive caulk
24. 180-grit sandpaper