Kitchen Storage Dos & Don'ts
- Don't use counters as storage space. Work surfaces are prime real estate in the kitchen. Keep them clear by using drawers, cabinets, walls and overhead spaces for storage.
- Do locate equipment logically. This means stowing pots and pans near the cooktop and oven, and everyday dishes and glassware between the sink and dishwasher.
- Don't purchase any storage item before taking accurate measurements of the area it will occupy and the items it will contain.
- Do invest in quality products. If a cheap rotating shelf doesn't spin smoothly and completely, it doesn't save space or, in the end, money.
- Don't be unrealistic about the ability of storage accessories to transform your cooking and cleaning habits. Even the most deluxe plate rack won't entice your dinner dishes to put themselves away.