A typical renters insurance policy offers protection when an accident causes damage to you and your belongings or someone else and their belongings. Assurant renters insurance offers standard coverage plus coverage for items like mold, pet damage, and rent protection.
The This Old House Reviews Team has taken an in-depth look at Assurant renters insurance to help you determine if Assurant is the best renters insurance company for you.
Pros & Cons of Assurant Renters Insurance
Compare the Pros & Cons of using Assurant Renters Insurance:
How Much Does Assurant Cost?
Assurant doesn’t publish what the average customer pays for renters insurance coverage on its website. However, Assurant is a provider of Geico renters insurance, and Geico says its policy costs as low as $12.
To confirm pricing, the This Old House Reviews Team request an online quote directly from Assurant using information for a one-bedroom apartment in Raleigh, North Carolina:
Cost of Assurant Renters Insurance
$16.92 ($27.84 down payment for month 1)
When getting your own quote, have the following information ready:
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Building material
- Type of rental
- Recent renters insurance claims
Assurant Renters Insurance Coverage
Assurant’s renters insurance policy is named-peril, which means you can only file a claim for the covered events listed below:
- Windstorm or hail
- Falling objects
- Ice, snow, or sleet
- Pipe bursts
- Cracked air conditioning, water, or heating system
- Power surge
- Riot or civil commotion
- Volcanic eruption
If one of these events were to occur, your policy covers personal property, loss of use, liability insurance, and medical payments to others.
1. Personal Property Coverage
This portion of the policy covers the cost of replacing your belongings if a fire were to destroy them or a person were to steal them. To know how much of this type of coverage to get, take an inventory of your belongings, estimate their value, and add the costs together.
The quote we received from Assurant included $25,000 for personal property coverage.
2. Loss of Use Coverage
Also known as additional living expenses, this part of your policy will reimburse you for temporary rental costs if your landlord has to repair or replace building components that were damaged in an accident.
The Assurant quote we received included $5,000 for loss of use coverage.
3. Liability Coverage
If you’re liable for an accident that caused bodily injury or damage to someone’s personal property, Assurant will cover the costs. An example of this would be if your dog bit a neighbor and your neighbor had to get stitches. This part of your policy is required by most landlords so that they don’t get held accountable if an accident occurs.
Our Assurant quote included $100,000 for liability coverage.
4. Coverage for Medical Payments to Others
If someone gets injured in your home, your policy will cover some or all of their medical bills.
The quote we recieved from Assurant covered $1,000 per person for medical payments to others.
Here are the coverage amounts available for North Carolina residents:
Assurant Range of Coverage
|Area of Coverage||Amount Range|
|Loss of use||20% of personal property|
|Liability coverage||$50,000, $100,000, or $300,000|
|Medical payments to others||$1,000|
|Deductible||$100, $250, or $500|
Assurant Additional Coverage
If you want to add coverage to your renters insurance policy, you can add the following items:
- Coverage for Pet Damage: If your pet damages a part of the rental property, this add-on will cover the repair expenses.
- Coverage for Water Sewer Backup: This covers damage caused by backed-up sewage.
- Earthquake Coverage: If an earthquake damages your belongings, this add-on will cover the repair or replacement costs.
- Coverage for Identity Theft Expenses: If your identity is stolen, costs like legal fees will be covered by Assurant.
- Rent Protection: If you’re involuntarily out of work and can’t pay rent, your renters insurance policy will cover rent for you.
Assurant Renters insurance State Availability
Assurant renters insurance is currently available nationwide. Click the links below to see the best providers in your state:
Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming
How to File a Claim with Assurant
Assurant has a mobile app and a customer portal that allows you to manage your policy and claims process. If you would prefer to talk to a customer representative, you can call 800-358-0600 for claims or 888-260-7736 for general questions. You can call the claims phone number to file a claim at any time, but your claim will be processed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. The line for general questions has the same hours.
Assurant Renters Insurance Reviews
During our review process, we considered Assurant’s third-party ratings and customer reviews. Here is what some customers have had to say in their Assurant renters insurance reviews on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website.
Barbara G said:
“I had to change my renters insurance from one address to another when I moved but there was some delay with getting my furniture here so we all ended up in a bit of a mixup. The agents were extremely professional, competent, friendly and knowledgeable. Despite everything we managed to get the one policy canceled and the new one in place with a minimum amount of fuss and bother. I highly recommend the staff at this company.”
Jonathan M said:
“So simple to get the perfect coverage for my Renters insurance, no hassle, no upsetting and no sales calls!! Assurant also handles my phone insurance and they are amazing. I filed my claim for damaged phone online on Friday evening and received a brand new phone on Monday at noon. That’s incredible customer service and the agents in their chat support go above and beyond what I expected to receive. All answers were fast, informative and completely resolved my issue in minutes. Definitely I highly recommend Assurant for renters insurance, phone insurance, and I’m sure any of their other services would reflect the same care and customer service that I received.”
“As a flight attendant, Im away from home 85-95% of the time. I came home to find my room broken into and everything was stolen. I filed a renters insurance claim with Assurant, that I purchased through Geico. The theft was noticed on 4/30/22, I reported it to the police when I got into town on 5/6/22. I filed my claim on 5/11/22 when I received the police report. It is now July 1st and NOTHING has been done on my claim except them asking for receipts and rental agreement. How do you provide receipts for family heirlooms? How do you provide receipts for duty free items purchased 2+ years ago? I told the adjuster EVERYTHING WAS STOLEN. The adjuster, her supervisor, and the manager have ignored ALL of my calls, texts and documents emailed to them to complete my claim.”
Since Assurant provides renters insurance to Geico customers, you can expect the base policies for Assurant and Geico to look the same. When deciding which provider to buy through, consider additional coverage options and customer service.
Geico has taken Assurant’s policies and improved the customer experience by offering 24/7 customer service and by helping customers decide how much personal property coverage to get with their proprietary calculator tool. On the other hand, Assurant offers unique additional coverage options to direct customers for items like rent protection and pet damage.
Regardless of which company you prefer, we recommend getting quotes from at least two other providers so that you can compare coverage, pricing, and customer service:
Assurant Renters Insurance vs. The Competition
If you’re not sure whether Assurant is right for you, compare it to other top-rated renters insurance companies below.
Get a free quote
Not available through This Old House
Not available through This Old House
Rent protection add-on
Single deductible benefit
As low as $12
As low as $5
24/7 for claims; 8 a.m.–8 p.m. for general questions
- Company Name: Assurant, Inc.
- CEO: Alan Colberg
- Years in Business: 16 years
- State Availability: 50 states
- Address: 11222 Quail Roost Drive
- City/State: Miami, FL
- Zip Code: 33157
- A.M. Best Financial Strength Rating: A
Frequently Asked Questions About Assurant
Frequently Asked Questions
The This Old HouseReviews team is committed to providing comprehensive and unbiased reviews to our readers. This means earning your trust through transparency and having the data to back up our ratings and recommendations.
With that in mind, we created an objective rating system to score each home insurance company. Here’s what that review process looked like:
- We analyze the information on each company’s website. This allows us to determine what products and services are offered by each home insurance provider.
- We get a sample quote from the companies by either talking to a sales representative or by using the online quote tool. This tells us what a policy looks like and costs.
- We test customer service by talking to a company representative, finding out their hours of operation, and determining what technological features are available for customers.
- We update all of this information on a continuous basis, storing it in a proprietary database that allows us to compare dozens of home insurance companies against each other.
With this data, we created a rating methodology to score each home insurance company. Our rating system is a weighted, 100-point scale based on the following factors:
- Coverage (30): We rated home insurance companies higher if they offered the six main types of homeowner protection—dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others coverage.
- State availability (7.5): Companies scored higher if they covered more states than their competitors.
- Customer service (15): This factor is based on our communications with the company representatives, as well as the companies’ claims and quotes processes, availability throughout the week, and customer service information found on their websites.
- Technology (12.5): Technology can increase the efficiency of filing and tracking home insurance claims. Companies scored higher if they had technology options like mobile apps and online chat functions.
- Reputation (20): We gauged trustworthiness based on years of experience and Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings.
- Additional benefits (15): Companies that offered optional features, like discounts and endorsements, scored higher than competitors that didn’t.
Our Reviews team has a full-time researcher who collects and regularly updates data points from every company to help us compare them on key factors such as coverage, service, and dependability.
To share feedback or ask a question about this article, send a note to our Reviews Team at email@example.com.